Official Contest Rules
• Contest is open to all downtown businesses.
• Participants will showcase the EXTERIORS of their buildings with creative holiday lighting displays and compete to win honors and recognition at the Celebrate San Antonio New Year’s Eve Event.
• Participants will receive official recognition from the City and it’s partners for participating in the contest and can
compete in a variety of categories, including "Best Use of Space," "Best Window Display by a Non-Profit Organization," "The CPS Award for the Greenest Display (Most use of LED lights)," "People’s Choice Award (Best Lighting Display of a Storefront)," and "People’s Choice Award (Best Lighting Display of a Building)"
• Participants are divided into main categories - storefronts, buildings, best use of space and
• The use of LED lights is encouraged, but not required for participation. Extra points will be given for “green”
• Light Up Downtown contest will begin on Friday, Nov. 23, 2012.
• Displays must be turned on daily no earlier than 5:30 pm and turned off no later than 12:30 am.
• Participants will be evaluated by members of the general public and the winners will be selected based on the
creativity and originality of the display. People can vote for their favorite lighting displays online at
• Participating businesses will also display a decal with a Quick Response (QR) Code linking you directly to the
website to vote from your smartphone.
• Displays will be lit through early January.
• Contest Voting ends December 19
• Winners will be notified on December 21 (Mayor’s Office)
• Winners will be publicly announced on New Year’s Eve
• Press release announcing winners will be sent to media January 2
• Awards will be presented to winners at Council Ceremonial Items on January 9
Contest winners will be chosen for the following awards:
- Best Use of Space
- Best Window Display by a Non-Profit Organization
- The CPS Award for the Greenest Display (Most use of LED lights)
- People’s Choice Award (Best Lighting Display of a Storefront)
People’s Choice Award (Best Lighting Display of a Building)
For Riverside properties abutting the river, all lighting displays must conform to City Code Sec. 35-673 – Site Design Standards
***(5) Prohibited Lighting on the Riverside of Properties Abutting the river.A. Flashing lights.B. Rotating lights.C. Chaser lightsD. Exposed neon.E. Seasonal decorating lights such as festoon, string or rope lights, except between November 20th, and January 10thF. Flood Lamps.